Friday 11 May 2012

Heide Museum of Modern Art















There are 3 Heide galleries in this vast 16 acre property, and there was only 1 gallery that was worth viewing. It was Heide I. 

It may be because it was the "personal Eden to Sunday and John Reed (Australia's most significant art benefactors)", or was it because we discovered the place (which was formerly a neglected dairy farm in 1934) was a "verdant parkland, densely forested with exotic and native flora... cottage-style kitchen garden... the result of 50 years of vision, dedication and sheer hard work."?

A stark contrast to Heide I and Heide II; which we thought was a rather pretentious (as like most modern art these days) collection of a self-absorbed community of artists - I'd even give more credit to bohemians - expressing themselves in rather unengaging bodies of work produced over a few years, exhibited to us; mere local, weekend simpletons, at a price - entry fee $10 concession.

I speak as such as if I wasn't prepared or know what I was going to see, but I tell you, no matter what my formal study degree in art has told me, or what my journey as a freelance illustrator has told me, one can appreciate art for what language it wishes to communicate, but one also knows that it's the heart we all really want and need to see - and we didn't see it in the modernistic art at Heide - it's was never meant to be an easy feat. Did I sound corny and uneducated?

Maybe I'm just not a good enough artist.

Keywords: Kitchen garden, cottage-style, sculpture park, exotic and native flora.

----------------------

Vue Cafe at Heide: 
Tues - Fri 10am - 5pm
Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Closed Mondays

Museum admission:
Adult: $14
Senior: $12
Concession: $10
Gardens and Sculpture Park: Free





No comments:

Post a Comment